N64 laptop

Im starting my n64 laptop project and will be posting all my progress here. Im using a 9" LCD screen, a 14.8V Li-po 6.4 Ah battery pack and still need to find a suitable audio amp. Here is a picture of my parts.
20130911_150541.jpg

thatguythere said:
Any idea on what the case is going to be? And are those the speakers on the side you are going to use?

I was going to be using the original casing of the system and attach the screen with a friction hinge. Theres enough room in the back where the power brick was for the battery. And yes I am thinking about using those portable speakers but, Im not sure if I would need an audio amp to amplify the audio before it inputs to the speakers. The speakers have a volume control so I dont know if it would amplify the audio signal all by itself or not.

Here is my wiring diagram for the N64 laptop so far. I'm unsure of what needs to be grounded and how to ground it properly. I was hoping someone could look it over and see if there's anything wrong with wiring it up like this.

N64_laptop_wiring_diagram.png

Logically that diagram makes sense, but technically it doesn't. Also, audio? I'm assuming thats included in the video part. I don't know much about the n64 insides and stuff, but the diagram looks right. You shouldn't fry anything if you wire it correctly with that diagram. As far as I know.

So I don't know which pins on my monitor are power. The ones that I think are for the power are coloured black and brown. I am really unsure because the vga wires are all bundled with the power and av wires and the connecter was cut off.

It won't draw any more current than it needs. Doesn't matter if you use a 1A or 10A power supply, just as long as its at least as much as it needs. Don't go feeding random wires 12v, though. That'll turn your screen into a paperweight real quick (unless you get lucky the first time). A multimeter would be much more helpful for finding out which pins to use. Also, check the board to see if its labelled.

vskid3 said:
It won't draw any more current than it needs. Doesn't matter if you use a 1A or 10A power supply, just as long as its at least as much as it needs. Don't go feeding random wires 12v, though. That'll turn your screen into a paperweight real quick (unless you get lucky the first time). A multimeter would be much more helpful for finding out which pins to use. Also, check the board to see if its labelled.

Thanks! I really wish the board was labelled. The wires I assume are the power input go to random spots on the board while I believe the AV wires and VGA go to a specific connector. That's why I believe they are the correct wires. How could I use a multimeter to find which pins to use, I have already tested the continuity so I know which wires are going where just don't know which wires are for what purpose exactly.

I took a picture of the monitor cable that attaches to the board. I think the brown and black loose wires are the power input. The red and white seem to be the 2 video inputs and the thicker black is just the vga ground which is only insulated once it enters the monitor, Im unsure of the thicker red but it may have been used for audio. Which wires would you think supply the monitor with power?
20130916_072543.jpg

vskid3 said:
You're going to have to give us more to go off of, like a good picture of the board.

Here are some pics of the board. hope it will help :) let me know what you guys think!

Here is a general picture of the board and it's inputs. On the left the small connector goes to the the screen controls, the middle connector is for the video inputs (two AV and one VGA), the one on the right is for the usb input which is used for touchscreen capability. There is also two wires a brown and black that I disconnected from the board that I think are from the 12V power supply.
20130918_134437.jpg

The pin at the top of this pic that has solder on it is were the black wire was soldered which I assume is the negative for the 12V DC.
20130918_134254.jpg

The pin right below the red wire from the usb input is where the brown wire was soldered too the board which I assume is the positive for the 12V DC. It is soldered to the same pin as the red wire coming in from the usb input.
20130918_134340.jpg

Thanks for the help guys!

I'm really confused on how you can't figure out the pinout for power. Usually you just follow the wires from the DC IN spot and/or where the DC IN port is soldered to the board. Same with the inputs. Where did you supply power before disassembly? Are you trying to run the screen without the controller board? (Not really possible/feasable btw.)

Miceeno said:
I'm really confused on how you can't figure out the pinout for power. Usually you just follow the wires from the DC IN spot and/or where the DC IN port is soldered to the board. Same with the inputs. Where did you supply power before disassembly? Are you trying to run the screen without the controller board? (Not really possible/feasable btw.)
The screen's power and 2 audio video settings as well as the vga mode came in through one vga port. There was a special cable that came with the monitor that attached to the vga connector that branched off to a vga out and the dc power supply as well as the 2 video inputs. I do not have that cable so all I am left with is a vga connector attached to the board.

So i figured it out. It was the brown and black wires like I thought :) they are the only two wires that go to unused pins on the vga connector :)

Got my PTH08080was today so I'm going to be assembling my laptop in the next week or two. I am in need of a small audio amp, just want one with a headphone jack because I want to just plug in my portable speakers or headphones into it. Here is a picture of the speakers.
20130918_222918.jpg

Back