N64 portable, the Bread64

MickJordy

Hello everbody, I'm glad to finally open this worklog. We needed a lot of help, thanks modretro people, especially WatsuG & DuHasst0! We called it the Bread64 because plan A was to build the portable in a lunchbox... :p

We're still waiting for the OKW case, headphone jacks and the charge jacks.

Today we started with desoldering. The player ports came of quite easy. But the A/V port... Is a Sega to get out :o

We stopped for today and we will continue tomorrow with the hope that we can remove the a/v port.

The first picture of the worklog:

iz8e53.jpg

Another update will come tomorrow!

-Jordy

Edit: I will use smaller pictures next time ;)

Yesterday evening the A/V port finally came off :)

That's the only thing we did yesterday. We will continue working today around 2 pm Dutch time. More updates will follow!

2i749pc.jpg

Stripped our speaker amp and our screen. Both are tested and working :)

The only problem is that the tact switches from both the screen and the audio amp are impossible to desolder. Now we will just wire new tact switches to the orignal tact switches pins in the hope that this will work.

Speaker:

33k6m45.jpg

Screen:

2r39oxl.jpg

When looking at the board a question came into my head. Everybody is wiring their cardslot to the outsite row of pins on the front side of the n64 board. Is it also possible to wire it on the outside row of pins on the backside of the board? This will keep the wires much shorter in our design, so is this possible?

We will continue working this monday!

-Jordy

MickJordy said:
Yesterday evening the A/V port finally came off :)

It's easier to just saw through the pins and snap them off the board than desolder it.

MickJordy said:
Stripped our speaker amp and our screen. Both are tested and working :)

The only problem is that the tact switches from both the screen and the audio amp are impossible to desolder. Now we will just wire new tact switches to the orignal tact switches pins in the hope that this will work.

You can either use something called Chipquik or pry off each pin individually as you heat the pad with your iron. Trying to use a pump or braid is an exercise in futility.

MickJordy said:
When looking at the board a question came into my head. Everybody is wiring their cardslot to the outsite row of pins on the front side of the n64 board. Is it also possible to wire it on the outside row of pins on the backside of the board? This will keep the wires much shorter in our design, so is this possible?

Yes, and someone did it, but it does screwy things to the positioning. I think it would appear upside down, label toward the board, with the wires crossed, or something like that. Use spacial reasoning (that I'm horrible at) and figure out how to get the pins to go to the right place.

Thanks for all the answers! We'll just try to wire the cardslot to the back of the board, if it doesn't work we will just wire it on the front.

Our last parts arrived yesterday so we are ready to solder everything en put it inside the case. The only problem is, still no case arrived from OKW enclosures...

We're kinda stuck with the project now as we need the case to know how to fit everything in it. We'll just have to I think :(

For now this are all the boards:

344rtcn.jpg

And wires, player ports and other stuff:

og04ec.jpg

That's all for now. We just have to desolder the power port and wait for OKW to send our case.

-Jordy

The screen is just a simple ebay 4.3 inch screen. And I have no clue anymore where I bought these speakers, I will search for you!

We have started building again last saturday but we don't have the right dremel bit -_-

Jordy

Back